The Fowler family took up residence here around the time the embankments were built in the mid 1800’s. They owned the adjoining farmland and were very much considered part of the local community, even willing part of their estate to the building of the local parish hall, now known as the “Fowler Hall”. All that remains are the wall-stead’s hidden amongst the trees. Ms Fowler died around 1940.
This corner of the site is now dominated by wet woodland scrub, with a rich shoreline favoured by various dabbling ducks. Just behind the woodland on the old railway line is a large heronry, in late spring the cacophony of noise will be hard to ignore.